Search This Blog

6.03.2009

The New Whigs

I have been comparing the current Republican Party to the former Whig Party for a little while now. The comparison is easily made as the eventual dissemination of the Whig Party came from the exclusive, extremist attitude of the former political faction. Sound familiar? The Whigs also represented the "business" sector and "moralists" of the time. Sound like someone you know?

Anyway, I haven't really discussed this comparison with many people because it seems so obvious a judgement. I've only really mentioned it during pillow-talk sessions with various lovers (really, just my husband and Keith Olbermann). I know, politics doesn't generally make for great "afterglow" banter but it usually revs us back up for seconds (especially when Dick and Bush are involved).

I only feel the need to bring up my Whig-Republican discussion up now because Keith asked me if he could use it on the Countdown the other night. I told him that was fine but since he wouldn't cite me for fear of our torrid affair becoming public (though our partners know- one of the perks of being an immoral progressive: Orgies), I made him promise that next time we get together we can roleplay Sean Hannity & Glenn Beck having anal sex (You guess who gets it in the butt).

Anyway, he used my comparison last night and I feel he justly represented my argument with more wit and grace than I would have.

But just so you know, I thought of it first.

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of whigs, I have a Dubya wig I won as a door prize at last year's Halliburton Fourth of July Picnic in Crawford. Whenever my Saudi friends visit, we like to take turns wearing it. After multiple shots of Jack Daniels, we strap on the cowboy boots, crank up the Toby Keith on my iPod, and let the sheep in the house. Suffice to say at this point we pretend the sheep represent the American people.

    ReplyDelete